Performance

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Hi Guys, what about performance of this solution? The best results I can get, was approx. 17 mins for 1 table with 4 columns and 30000 rows. Batch size is 5000 rows, so I have 6 batches and for each batch it takes 3 min to download. I was testing against local database and ActiveSync connection, so it is not network issue. but what it is then? Merge replication based solution give me time - less than 1 min. in same conditions. how this can be?

Am I doing something wrong?

What best results can you get?

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hi gjakutin

Could you describe your escenario? Let me now what type of tracking you are using as well as emulator/devices characteristics.

I'm out of home, let me a couple of days and will check it.

Thank you,,,

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM

My scenario is pretty simple, I just created a table, then on server (SQL Server 2005) side i prepared it with steps taken from this guide - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc305973.aspx , in ServerPreparationExamples:

1. Verify the Sales.Customer schema. Determine whether the table has a primary key and any columns that could be used for change-tracking.

2. Add columns to track when and where inserts and updates are made.

3. Create a tombstone table, and add a trigger to the Sales.Customer table to populate the tombstone table. 

Then I took stored procedure from this guide - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb902828.aspx .

And  as a last step, I set up your solution to use gzip encoder and CustomRemoteProviderSample : AppRemoteProviderSS2005 class.

Then it works just perfect but performance is bad. What i found, that batch size is affects overall performance, if batch size is smaller - it takes more time to synchronize. For batch size = 1000 - it took about 21 mins and for batch size = 5000 - it took about 17 mins already. For bigger batch sizes i receive exceptions from gzip encoder that it can't allocate so much memory on device. 

Device is htc 3300 (proc. - OMAP 850 200 MHz, RAM - 64 Mb, ROM - 128 Mb ) running win mob 6.

The database file I've got after initial sync on device is about 5 Mb. 

Let me know if you need other info. I can send you creation script for my table and stored procedure as I have them at present, if you find it useful. Would be just great if we can come out with some solution and make it faster.  

Don't worry about time, check this when you have time..

And thanks for quick response.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Hi gjakutin,

Apologies for delaying ;-). I'm analyzing performance problems. I just can tell you, right now, that there are known issues about this topic and Microsoft expects increase the performance in the next release (v2.0). I'll keep you up to date.

FYI:  in the next versions of SyncComm there will be an statisctics and logging form.

Cheers,

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Better later than never ;) I just want to ask you if you will have time one day, do some performance testing and share results please.

Do you know when next version of SyncServices comes? We would like to consume this technology if it will be faster.

And yes, when you have any info about SyncServices keep us up to date :)

Thanks!

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Yes sure. I will share the results gathered on differents scenarios.

There is no official release date for the v.next.

Thanks to you!!!

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Hi again,

Just tell to you that Microsoft released a hotfix in order to improve sync performing for devices. Please check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973058/en-us

Cheers,

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Appreciating that you're keeping us up to date, mate!

Will check that.

Thanks!

2010/1/18 jtorres <notifications@codeplex.com>

Hi again,

Just tell to you that Microsoft released a hotfix in order to improve sync performing for devices. Please check http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973058/en-us

Cheers,

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (synccomm@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email synccomm@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Hi,

I tested a little the new hotfix today. But unfortunately the results are not very promising already now..

For 1000 rows + schema = 320 KB I got time almost 4 minutes. I used  latest version of code, compression and ChangeTracking (SQL Server 2008). Probably using CustomTracking this time can be reduced by half but anyway it will be 2 minutes. We have mobile databases with more than 5 MB of data. Imagine how long the process of initial sync will take.

again any suggestions or other user expirience will be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Gennadi